Wednesday 23 July 2014

Book nerves!

I am actually  quite torn in two at the moment. Now my book is well under way, the cover has been designed, the interior layout organised, dedications made and the first draft returned for amendments, I suddenly feel a bit sick! This is really happening! My book, very soon, will be out there, for people to read. And judge!

As I writer, I know I have to deal with this. And I can hear myself lining up justifications already. "I'm not Jane Austen" springs to mind, as does "well let's compare it with your book then - oh, you didn't write one?" I realise I have to move past this or it is going to block me. I know that I have to be my own biggest promoter, and introduce the wonderful world of Sadie's House to those sceptical about investing in the work of a completely unknown author.

I also know that because I have self published, the potential purchaser could be sceptical about the quality of the writing. Anyone can self publish, right? How do I persuade an audience to take a risk? (Incidentally I hear that several other well known authors self published their first books to get going, including one Ms Rowling...)

I do have, however, an unshakable belief in my book. It's a really lovely story, with all the elements in it that I enjoy. It is a light modern fantasy. It is a unique love story. It is a story of family, friendship and hope. It would make a BRILLIANT move (just in case any movie producers happen to randomly come across this blog......). The feedback I have had is that it is well and professionally written, despite the fact that I am knew to the novel writing game. (Thanks mum) (Only kidding - I have had this feedback, from several publishing companies, and a recent offer for publication.)

So I am hoping that it will be out there in the next few weeks. I feel a bit exposed, really, in a standing in the middle of the school yard, naked, sort of way. I hope that this will pass. I am excited beyond belief.

I am also completely terrified!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Karen!! I'd love to read Sadie's House, so do let us know when it's available. I'm so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandie - all being well available in print in 2 weeks. Date to be confirmed. I will be logging details on here xx

      Delete