Monday 21 March 2016

The age of technology

Very excited to be travelling the French Alps this weekend. It's taken me an age and a half this morning to sort out all the administration for this.....hotel check in on line, car hire, print the tickets and vouchers, decide I need a suitcase so retrace the booking and add this to our flights, organise the car park, check that we have directions and so on. What happened to the good old days when you just toddled off to the travel agents, told them what you wanted then waited for everything to just come in the post? Why is everything so immediate on the one hand, and yet takes me twice as long on the other hand?

I am not the generation that grew up with computers. When I was at school there was THE COMPUTER in D block at school. It took up a whole room and looked like something from your favourite sci fi movie. We had to ring the university then put the phone on to a cradle to connect but it was nothing like the Internet we know today. It was something mysterious and vaguely awe inspiring, we didn't really know what it was for or what it did. It was a simpler time. I was late to university and even then, the COMPUTER was an enigma to me, something quite terrifying that I was convinced would break should I hit the wrong button. I have not mastered the (limited) skills I have today, many years later, without a great deal of anxiety and perseverance! And this continues! 

Today has been hampered by the fact that my own lap top has conked out and when I took it for repair to the shop from whence it came I was greeted with "we don't repair these, you'll have to ohone the company". Deep sigh. Tried to use the daughter's brand new lap top but can't fathom it so have had to rely on my trusty I pad, of which I have become very fond. 

Which brings me nicely round to the book. Having edited it 4 times, I completed a spell check and found about another dozen mistakes, cleared those up and am now half way through formatting ready to send to one or two very generous friends who have offered to read through. And I say half way through formatting as I have stalled yet again due to technical issues! I started writing this sequel in 2012 (I now this because I found the very first draft on my portable hard drive!) so it's been a long time coming. I'm hoping to have it with aforementioned friends before the end of the week. I LOVE this book and I can only hope, as can any writer, aspiring or otherwise, that it is well received. I hope to have news in my next post!



Meanwhile, I'm off not skiing (but I hear good things about the Spa and shopping!)  Meanwhile, stick with it, is my message for today. Perseverance can move mountains ( but not the one I will be at this weekend I hope!!!) 😀✈️⛷

No comments:

Post a Comment