Wednesday 27 March 2013

Reading in the bath

I started reading a new book the other day. It was one that the daughter had read and said that it would make me cry. It has been made into a film, and I have seen that film, and don't normally hold by the idea of seeing the film first. It's never the same. Anyway, I digress. I was taking a long hot and well deserved soak in the bath, and so picked up this book to read.

A couple of things struck me. In the book, the young man is dying, and he proclaims his regret at not having the privilege of getting old. Having already started to dread my next birthday, in May, this made me rethink the idea of clocking up further numbers on the birthday counter. I mentally chastised myself. I had unwittingly started to consider how I was not going to bother with my birthday this year, would let it pass quietly and without any fuss and in fact almost pretend it wasn't happening. Last year was a big birthday, which I celebrated by writing the book I had promised myself my whole life. That done, I have stumbled and faltered with the sequel but with less urgency.

The point to all this, and the realisation I came to, was that it IS a privilege to get older and that we shouldn't take it for granted. I SHOULD celebrate! To celebrate being alive and rejoice in everything I am so grateful for. If my book is published, that will be a happy bonus, but if not, well it's not actually the end of the world, is it.  Its still a couple of months away, but I have stopped being bothered by it quite so much. Like my friends say, it's only a number.

The other thing that struck me was how the book was written - the language used, the plot, the structure and so on. It is a "nice" book (don't hate me for using that word - not the writer's best choice of vocabulary, I know) but it cheered me no end that I know, I mean I absolutely KNOW that my book is at least as well written and with just as interesting a plot. Now I just have to make someone else to realise my vision. That book has been massively successful and I feel even more that Sadie has a future. The "things going on behind the scenes" are still going on so we will wait and see how that pans out. I think a bit of self belief is important if you are going to get anywhere - why bother if you don't think you have a chance?

 All things considered, although I have only read the first few chapters of the book, I am rather pleased with myself that I did so. And, by the way, the only place I seem to get chance to read is in the bath, being a busy mum, wife, teacher, writer, baker of cakes and all round creative person, I don't really get much peace and quiet.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.....

Meanwhile, as always, have a great week!
xx
 (not me in the photo, by the way! )

No comments:

Post a Comment