Saturday 18 August 2012

In the beginning

One or two friends have asked how people even come up with an idea in the first place to write a book, and I  have often asked myself the same question. I have wanted to write a book for a long time, only to be faced with that very quandry. I have started quite a few, but been unable to maintain them. Once I wrote half a novel with a close friend, which although we very much enjoyed (a sort of Bridget Jones/letter writing half breed), lacked any real direction (I felt, although she may disagree,) and it petered out.
I believe in the advice I once read - "write what you know". That's not to say you can't use your imagination of course, but write about something that you are familiar with and interested in and write with passion and conviction. Sadie was originally born out of my interest in property development, although I knew that I could never write a book about tiling and plasterboard. Much more interesting to me was the idea of a dying house, with a soul, brought back to life by a bereaved young woman. The storyline developed from there, including drama and suspense, partiularly in part three. The central character is not based on myself, but there are bits of me in there. It's quite hard not to do this, I think.
I know others who are interested in writing and I would urge them to go for it. It does take a bit of bravery to put yourself out there and I have moments where I feel hugely self concious, but now it feels as if a tap has been turned on and I can't turn it off! I love to write and I am pursuing this full steam ahead now. Let's see where it goes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment