Saturday 4 August 2012

Romantic Drama or Chick Lit?

I go to the gym whenever I can. Big deal, you  might say. And yes, big deal indeed. But the reason that I bring this up is the fact that every time I go, I am filled with new ideas and have to spend 20 minutes or so  when I get home scribbling them down before I forget them, like you do a dream. Oxygen to the brain or something?? Well it works for me anyway.....(and they aren't neccessarily all good ideas....!)
So today's bright ideas were as follows; what category does my book fall into? What genre should I be promoting my book as? I thought I knew, until I saw the category "Chick lit" and had to research to double check. This was, as I suspected, the written version of the "Chick flick", which is usually light hearted and humourous. Sadie is not written as a comedy and some parts of it are really quite tense and filled with dramatic apprehension (well that was the intention, at least!) so I think that I will be selling it as Romantic Drama. It is after all, a love story, albeit one with a (huge!) difference. I also decided to change one or two details in the plot to hopefully improve.  More to follow later.
Today I have also looked in my authors' Yearbook (can I advertise on here? I will have to find out!) - There are hundereds of publishers! I identified 25 who might be suitable. And I haven't even started on the agencies yet.
 I still have work to do, obviously!

No comments:

Post a Comment